Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tapping Into The Secret (or How to Make a Movie With Really Bad Acting and Still End Up on Oprah)

Tip of the Day: Why belong to the B&N rewards program when the Border's one is FREE and sends you coupons like every day?

In the summer of 2007, I had a plan. I was going to two conferences in the fall where I'd earn "ins" with attending editors -- meaning I could sub to them without an agent bc I'd also attended the conference. So I decided that even though I really wanted an agent, if I didn't get any bites by 1/1/08, I'd use all my conference sub ins and give the agent thing a rest for a while.

And I was OK with this plan.

But just to make sure I had my eye on the prize, I wrote down on a sticky note: "I will be agented by 1/1/08." I stuck it on my cubicle wall at work where I'd be sure to see it every day. Some people had pics of their kids up to motivate them to work, I had ballpoint scrawl on a generic yellow Post-It. To each their own.

Soon after, my friend suggested I read THE SECRET just to see what I thought of it. There were a ton of things in the book that seemed ridiculous to me. I mean, I'm still not convinced that Ludwig van Beethoven would've put his stamp of approval on the DVD.

Well, OK, maybe he would've if they used his Symphony No. 5 as their theme song and he collected royalties.... Nah.

But what I gleaned was that you need to put your intentions "out there" to up the chances of them coming true. Don't be afraid to tell people what your goals are.

It couldn't hurt.

So I told people I was actively looking for an agent, and that I hoped to have one by the end of the year, and I "told the universe" these same intentions while also reading my sticky note every day.

And guess what? After that I was offered rep in November and had the contract signed in December -- I'd made my 1/1/08 date!

Coincidence? The jury's still out on that one -- I mean, I did write a pretty damn good book ;) -- but as I said, "It can't hurt!"

And for the record, if you watch the DVD of THE SECRET, please be prepared for cringe-worthy acting and bad reinactments. Don't say I didn't warn you.... :)




Deena, Miss Recently Repped

7 comments:

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Very interesting...(imagine a bad German accent here). I'll have to check it out.

Emily Marshall said...

Deena, I love all your Secret talk. :: making own sticky note, now ::

Rhonda Helms said...

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY believe in The Secret. It's worked twice now for me in big ways!

In Dec 2006, I made one of my 2007 goals to have an agent by the end of 2007. I got a fabulous one in February 2007.

In Dec 2007, I made one of my 2008 goals to get a contract by end of 2008. I got signed for a trilogy in February 2008.

That's why I write all of my goals down...of course, I don't just write it and let it go. I work on making it happen, too. But it DOES work!!

Thanks for the awesome blog topic! I hope more writers use The Secret to make things happen!!

DeenaML said...

Ghost Girl, you are so close now already! Maybe The Secret will seal the deal for you!

Em, I think this blog is a Big Step in us putting our intentions Out There.

Rhonda, you are a Poster Child for The Secret -- bc your goals were never a secret and you are so energetic and enthusiastic -- I'm so glad we connected thru West. Yes, the ppl I worked with are pretty much the only thing I miss there. :)

Lisa Schroeder said...

I sold my book shortly after watching The Secret and practicing getting "the call" to put that positive energy out there!!!

I do believe there is something to it.

Kate Fall said...

Wow, you guys are amazing me with your Secret talk! OK, I will finish my two WIPs this year to submission quality ... I will do it ... I will do it.

Remember Creative Visualization? I was really into that in college. It's pretty much the same thing. I used to spend every break at home saying loudly, "I get along well with my family!" It amused them to no end.

What's amazing me is that some of the things you mention seem like they'd be out of your control. Which is different from my goal, I hope! But do you think The Secret can influence other people's actions?

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Okay...I'll put this one out there...My DH will find an awesome job that he will love and we will have a good place to live and raise our kids!

(And of course I'll grow to be an award-winning writer of YA fiction!)

Hey...go big or stay home!