Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sometimes You Have to Make Yourself Do It

Tip of the Day: I sold film option rights to The Espressologist! Details on my blog.

I'm going camping this weekend. All weekend. I have to be out in the woods somewhere for two whole nights.

Sigh.


I really don't want to go camping. Like, I've thought of every possible excuse not to go. I don't camp. I burn. Bugs love me. I like sleeping on a bed. If I want to hike I can do it on my treadmill while watching Real Housewives. Outhouses gross me out. And don't even suggest that there is a chance there may not be an outhouse. Last time I remember camping was at least twenty years ago when I was a kid. But, my daughter is a girl scout and they're all going this weekend. And she's only 7 so I have no choice. I have to go.

UGH.

This is one of those times where even though I really really REALLY don't want to do something, I'm going to do it. I have to. She insists that she will be completely devastated if we don't go on this trip. And while I'm sure there are many many more times in her life where she will be completely devastated if she doesn't get something or get to go somewhere, this one I can do.

I do this with my writing sometimes. Writing isn't always easy. Sometimes it gets really hard. Like when I'm in the middle of a book and thinking, okay, there is no way out. I can't get past this point in the book. This book sucks and I don't even know why I'm bothering trying to write it. I should delete the whole thing. Or just start working on a new book and put this one away until it sucks less. But I don't. I make myself write through it, telling myself that if I just get through these few awful chapters then I can get to a part I want to write. And that usually gets me through it and I can finish the book. And by the time I've finished I've usually thought of what to do to fix those awful chapters and I can go back and work on them. The important thing is that I didn't give up just because it seemed too hard.

And that's what I'm going to do this weekend. It may kill me (bear attack?) but I'm going camping.

Kristina, Miss Author in Action

3 comments:

Megg Jensen said...

Hahahahahahaha! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Have fun. ;)

Kate Fall said...

Oh, I love Girl Scout camping. Although in New York, 7 year olds camp in cabins and graduate to tents as they get older. I suspect it won't be as rustic as you fear. And you'll have great sensory experiences for a future book!

DeenaML said...

Hee hee! I hate camping too, but your daughter's love is worth it, lol! And yeah, like Kate said, you can totally use this in a book.