Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Am I a Bestseller or Not?

Tip of the Day: According to an editor/friend of mine....here's how the terms are used:

bestseller - noun
best-selling - adjective

Or you can see it here on Dictionary.com

***

Am I a best-selling author?

Technically, yes.

My books - every single one of them - have hit multiple best-seller lists on Amazon.

Whoop dee doo.

Maybe I'm snobby. Maybe I'm too critical. But I'm not going to prance around the internet claiming best-seller status with hitting the top of one of Amazon's gabillion lists. I've even hit the top 100 on Amazon overall (paid, yes, I've hit the top 10 overall free multiple times) and I'm still not willing to flaunt it.

I don't think I'm snobby or critical. I just think I still have my head in the clouds.

I want to be a NY Times Bestseller or a USA Today Bestseller. I want to hit the big time, baby. Small successes are definitely worth celebrating. I've posted many a FB picture of my books on prominent Amazon lists. Yet...I won't let my cover artist put that coveted title next to my name.

What do you think? Am I a bestseller? Or still a wannabe?

In the meantime, pick up my YA contemporary novel, Shucked. It's free today on Amazon. :)

XoXo,

Megg, Miss Enchanted ePubber

2 comments:

amberargyle said...

I feel the same way. I've been #1 on the freebie lists, and made many of the others, but I don't feel right putting that on the covers of my books.

It feels like cheating. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Kristina Springer said...

You're a bestseller. The only distinction you're have to make is if you're a NYT Bestseller then say that. NYT doesn't own the term "Bestseller" so you don't have to get validation from them or USA Today to be a bestseller. I made the Scholastic Bookfair bestseller list. Considering the hundreds of thousands of books they sell each month? I think that's a big deal. To be a NYT bestseller you only need to sell something like 5000 copies a week.