Thursday, July 15, 2010

Book Trailer Bonanza

Tip of the Day: Amazon has THE ESPRESSOLOGIST bargain priced at $6.80 right now! Sweet deal!

Book trailers seem to be the thing these days. And I know I should make one (or have one made) but I'm not sure if I'm going to get to it before My Fake Boyfriend is Better Than Yours comes out (8/31/10!! Whoo hoo! Coming up fast!). But I've been researching how to do this and thought I'd share some links in case anyone else wants to make a book trailer.

First I came upon ehow's instructions here. Which are very basic but gives you an idea of what you need to do. Make a storyboard, get public domain pics, find public domain music etc. It doesn't really tell you how to put this all together but that would be up to whatever movie making program you get I gather. Personally, I got stuck just looking through the public domain pics. Wow, that can take forever to find the right pictures to go along with your book! Here is the Suite101 version of how to make your book trailer-- this one has some links to programs that are helpful. And I stumbled upon an author's site where she specifically talks about how to make a trailer using Windows Movie Maker (which, who knew, already comes with windows. One less thing to buy!) Her instructions are more detailed even though kinda hard to read since they are in one long paragraph.

So I'm still debating and deciding whether or not I should give this making a trailer thing a try. I'm considering begging my husband to do it. If it happens I'll post about it of course. The other alternative is to hire someone to make a trailer for you but be prepared to pay the $$$ for it because they can get expensive. Here are a few places that do this:



And if you want to find everything you ever wanted to know about book trailers in one place? Check out this great list of resources from DarcyPattison.com.

Anyone else have book trailer making tips you want to share?

Kristina, Miss See Me on the Shelves

4 comments:

Kate Fall said...

August will be here before we know it! Congratulations!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I've got a fab trailer on my blog today - Dead Rules, a very short trailer made by a super talented Maggie. Check out the link. I'm getting her to do mine too.

DeenaML said...

Great list of resources, whether or not you decide to do a trailer for you hilarious, adorable books. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, better late than never, I say. LOL
Here are some tips that I can offer.
1. Don't make the video too long. No longer than 90 seconds.

2. Have a goal in mind on what you will use it for so you don't spend too much time, money or effort on it without a real ROI.

3. Give it to your publisher. They can get it distributed to booksellers and post it no their site and social networks.

4. Distribute it far and wide!

Have fun with it. Your time is best spent doing what you do best, which is writing a great book. If it is taking away from that and causing you frustration it may not be worth it.

You might try Animoto, which can now post to YouTube. Such an easy way to make a book video! It can be fun and not overly time consuming.

Great post!

Sheila Clover English