Monday, December 13, 2010

Sneaking Around to Write?

Tip of the Day: They say if you wear your pajamas inside out, the next day will be a snow day. Yay no school before Christmas!

So here I am at the day job and I'm blogging. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

It gets quiet here in December, though, as everyone goes on vacation. Other people are reading news on the internet and Christmas shopping online, and I usually use this time to catch up on writers' blogs and message boards. But then I figure, hey, there's no moral difference between that and catching up on critiques, right? And then it's down the slippery slope to actually writing at work.

Of course I've always brought a notebook to meetings. I get invited to some large group meetings where working on a synopsis instead of paying attention to things that don't affect my job is definitely the better use of my time. I feel no guilt there.

I know people who check their emails at work for query responses. Most people would find that acceptable. What about emailing queries and researching agents? Maybe that's strictly a lunchtime activity.

Where do you draw the line? What's okay to do at work and what isn't?

-- Kate, Miss Perfecting the Pages

3 comments:

Demitria said...

I am totally awful. Not only did I do my last round of queries exclusively from work (found an awesome agent btw) I also wrote almost my entire novel. I'm a receptionist and there is a lot of free time...though I'm probably not supposed to use work time for writing, the alternative is to stare off into space for half an hour at a time. At least I'm being productive.

demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

Andrea Mack said...

Interesting. What works best for me is keeping my writing and teaching totally separate - each one has to occupy 100% of my available brain resources.

DeenaML said...

Demitria -- I am with you! I'm sorry but if you don't have work to do from your employer, what can you do, right?

At my current job, I do some writing and critting during lunch only. No time otherwise, plus now I love my job and always make more work for myself on purpose. :)

But Kate, at West, let's see, I:
wrote
critiqued
researched
edited
queried
printed

um, yeah, ALL of it. But I had no work to do! I had to keep myself out of trouble! :)