Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Library Lost&Found #1 (or Cat-astrophe)

Tip of the Day: If you missed WriteOnCon this week, that's OK! Check out the archives and speaker list for current agent and editor information.

For the past six years, I have wanted to blog about this topic, and finally, after three years of collecting photos, I am taking the plunge.

What am I talking about?

Library Lost&Found, of course!

Background: I am in charge of the Circulation Department at my library, and with that I inherited "management" of the Lost & Found. This highly evolved area consists of a plastic crate (probably a lost & found item itself back in the day) sitting on a small table in the cart room.

At any one time the L&F may be full of the following items:

  • Mittens/gloves
  • Notebooks/pens
  • Umbrellas
  • Canes
  • Sunglasses/reading glasses
  • Action figures
  • Sippy cups/bottles
  • Flash drives
  • Etc.
However, there is the occasional time where something completely outlandish ends up in the L&F and I think to myself one/many of the following:
  • Who could forget that?
  • Who would bring that into the library in the first place
  • Who would own that in the first place?
  • Why did we even save that in L&F instead of throwing it out? 
While I am considering the above, I am also usually laughing hysterically and I thought I should share that hilarity with the blog-reading world.

I started collecting photos about three years ago, and it evolved from just items that were placed in the L&F to also include:
  • Notes/letters/school assignments found around the library
  • Items stuck in books
  • Items donated to the library
Now, to kick off Library Lost&Found, this is a recent item that was donated to the library. Keep in mind, we don't actually accept clothing donations...yet somehow these furry faces found their way into our building with a box of books....

A number of questions arise:
  1. Why did someone think printing cat faces all over the front of a giant t-shirt would be attractive?
  2. When they realized it wasn't attractive, why did they think the library would want it?
Oh, wait, I guess the library did want it since I'm wearing it. But only because it was too amazing to pass up adding the tongues and tail and then gifting it to my director. 

But the kitty print itself is all natural, baby! MEOW!

Until next time...

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

3 comments:

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Just this week, I found a cryptic note inside one of my library books!

But nothing as great as that shirt! Books and cats do go together, sort of. (And no, I wasn't the one who donated it.)

Unknown said...

Looking forward to other things found. I love the shirt!!

DeenaML said...

Jennifer -- the cryptic notes do have their place! I have a stockpile that I can't wait to feature...

Joanne -- thanks for reading! Miss you Bally's ladies!