Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Joining a Writing Group

Tip of the Day: joining a writing group can be fun and encouraging.

I've been writing fiction seriously for about four years now (wow has it really been that long?), but I've yet to join a writing community such as the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators or Romance Writers of America.

I've kind of dabbled a bit by going to meetings, but just when I started to feel a part of something, I moved and had to start all over again. And I've justified not joining because there's such a wonderful writing community online that I've gotten a lot of great information from and I didn't feel I needed to spend money.

Until now.

Recently, I decided to attend the Winter SCBWI conference coming up in January (with Deena!) and thought what better time to join when it would help get me a discounted rate at the conference.

I just received by packet of information and I have to tell you that I actually kind of feel like a real writer now. It makes me feel official that I'm going to a conference to better my writing and my career and that I'm part of such a great group of writers. I'm kind of amazed I hadn't joined before and I'm so excited to meet writers in my area and future events. And to get the most out of membership that I can.

Are you all members of writing groups? And what benefits do you see and how do you get the most out of your membership?

--Emily, Miss Querylicious

3 comments:

DeenaML said...

Isn't that packet of joining info inspiring and great? I can't wait til NY!!!

Kate Fall said...

Em, I think it does take a couple of years in the same SCBWI region to get to know people and benefit from it. So I totally understand where you're coming from.

Have a great time in New York!!!

Shannon Messenger said...

I'm a member of SCBWI too. Only problem: I live in an area of So Cal no one wants to claim for their group. *Sighs*