Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We should all be a bit more like Betty White

Tip of the Day: Kristina’s book My Fake Boyfriend Is Better Than Yours comes out today!! Congrats Kristina! Everyone else, make sure to check it out.

After seeing the new commercial for the movie You Again my husband informed me that even Betty White tweets and updates her Facebook status more than I do.

My response: “But everyone wants to hear what Betty White has to say…because Betty’s the New Black.”

I might not have put it exactly like that, but basically my thinking on the subject is that I really don’t know what to say that people would actually care about.

His response was that most people on Twitter and Facebook write stuff that no one cares about. But there is still an off chance that at least one person will actually find your deep desire to find a Tim Horton’s bagel interesting. Or really want to discuss how much they are also looking forward to “The Situation” being on Dancing With the Stars.

Which I guess is true.

But half the time when I think of funny things or want to share something with someone, I just don’t even think to Facebook it or Tweet it. Which means when I actually sit down to try to think about stuff to put on Facebook…I have nothing. My mind is completely blank. And then I think well if I don’t have anything good or clever to say that I probably shouldn’t say anything at all.

A few weeks ago Lisa brought up the subject of having an online presence as an author and how a lot of people with popular blogs really have to work at it. Which I think is also true for Facebook and Twitter. The people's updates that I most like to read are from people that you can see really make an effort and try to get witty, clever, or funny with everything they present. And if you are using social media to help present yourself as an author I think it’s important to take that extra step and work at it. But at the same time, if you don't do anything just because you don't know what to do that's probably far worse. Because you aren't letting anyone even get the chance to get to know you as an author and a person.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that from now on…I’m going to try to be a bit more like Betty White!

--Emily, Miss Querylicious

4 comments:

Kate Fall said...

Wait, Betty White has a Facebook account? *runs to check*

It's definitely hard to keep up these days. But I always like to see you on Facebook.

DeenaML said...

It's getting like this at the library, too, for promoting programs. The county library web page, our twitter account, newspapers, our own program brochures...how many places do I have to post the same info? And it has to be in different formats to fit the word count restrictions. So yeah, I hear ya.

Lisa Schroeder said...

I think of clever facebook things in the car or in the shower, then I forget later. Thinking of clever FB status updates could be a full time job, I think.

Emily Marshall said...

Kate. I don't think she actually has an actively used account. Just her character jokes about it in her new movie. I wish though!

And I completely agree Lisa. Full time job for sure!