Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Realistically Real Recs (Books That Recked Me)

Tip of the Day: Do not turn on your new-to-you Wii if you want to get any writing done. ESPECIALLY do not turn on Classic Pac-Man.

As you saw last week, each of us A2A Misses has a specific interest in writing in certain genres. That doesn't mean we won't ever cross over, but what that does tend to mean is that we LOVE LOVE LOVE some books in the genre in which we write.

As a writer of primarily realistic, contemporary YA and MG novels, I can tell you I have many faves in this genre. But the ones more recently that have made me wish I could write those types of stories That Well are:

1) C. K. Kelly Martin's YA novels. I've read and loved all three (more books coming soon!) for their totally believable relationships and dialog.












2) This latest from Dana Reinhardt. I've read one of her previous novels, HOW TO BUILD A HOUSE, but wow, this 2010 release is fantastic. It had a spot-on brother relationship, IMO.










3) I really enjoyed the MC and the supporting boy character in HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT, and although Natalie Standiford's latest release is completely different from her first, it also fully entertained me. The three stories were woven together really well.


Has anyone else read these titles? What recent, contemporary fiction do you recommend?

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

3 comments:

Kate Fall said...

I loved, loved, loved I KNOW IT'S OVER. I'm also a huge fan of Deb Caletti and Sara Zarr for realistic fiction.

Andrea Mack said...

These all look like great books - I'm going to look for them!!

DeenaML said...

Oh yes! Another thumb's up for Sara Zarr!