Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Teen Takes on Twilight (or The Velocity of Vampires)

Tip of the Day: Pop some echinacea if you feel a cold coming on. It might be a placebo, but who cares as long as it works!

I've had the pleasure of working with some teen volunteers lately, ages 13-15, and a great book conversation starter is always, "So did you read TWLIGHT?"

Some responses (all from girls -- and they are smart!):

--The first book in the series is the best. It showed the most of Bella and Edward as individuals. It had the most/best plot.
--I read the series many times. I read TWILIGHT 7 times. I bought all 4 books. I was sad when I finished the series. I stopped reading book #4 halfway through bc I didn't want it to be over.
--TWLIGHT was about what it is to be human and what Bella would have to give up
--THE HOST was about our souls and how they are a powerful connection between ppl
--THE HOST was better than the TWLIGHT series. I can't wait to see who plays Wanda in the movie version
--BREAKING DAWN spent too much time on Bella's gross pregnancy. I felt sorry for Victoria. The ending was sad. The ending was perfect.

Number of copies of TWLIGHT currently on my YA shelf at the library: 1 out of 10 available. Yep, Ms. Meyer is still going strong! Go YA lit!

Other vampire books are also popular, but I have copies of VAMPIRE ACADMEY on my shelves and only own two copies of each of those books. Overall, it seems no matter how hot vamp books are, TWILIGHT is still tops on teens' lists -- and adults, too, in the TBR piles!

Me, I liked Amanda Marrone's UNINVITED for a YA vamp book.

Just some observations from the crowd for which I write -- and love to work with!

Any other vamp books that are different and worth checking out, preferably YA?

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

6 comments:

Rhonda Helms said...

I'm gonna push my friend's book BITE ME--by Mel Francis. :D

Alissa Grosso said...

I'm not a big vampire fan, but I will add to the tip of the day. If you feel a cold coming on cleans your ears with hydrogen peroxide. It sounds weird, I know, but most colds actually start out as low grade ear infections. Of course, vampires don't get colds.

DeenaML said...

Rhonda -- we just got BITE ME -- I'll have to check it out! (Though I think someone else already snagged it....)

Alissa -- use HP? Omg, it sounds so simple it just might work!

Lena said...

I'm a YA librarian and I've been hearing some Twilight backlash from teens lately. They seem to have moved on to Vampire Diaries, Vampire Academy and the Vampire Knight manga series.

Kristina Springer said...

And if you notice in bookstores like 75% of the YA sections lately are dedicated to the Twilight series. I've never seen so much dang Twilight stuff! It's still getting the hard push.

And Alissa, my husband totally does that HP thing! It always makes me go ewwwww though. :-)

Steph Su said...

I don't think I'll ever get sick of vampires. I don't care what others say--vampires will forever have a place in my heart, even though I've long since moved on from Edward Cullen! =P Vampire Academy is one of the best vampire series out there, but I'm enjoying the Sookie Stackhouse novels for lighthearted, mediocrely written paranormal fun. I wasn't able to get into The Vampire Diaries (books; I haven't seen the show), but, uh, True Blood? *SWOON* Talk about bringing it back to the old-fashioned, sexy, and properly dangerous vampires!