Friday, April 23, 2010

Juggling multiple projects

Tip of the day: If you want to read three EXTRAORDINARY blog posts about plot, you must check out Laini Taylor's blog. But make sure you have a good hour to read, digest, take notes, etc. Seriously, it is GOOD STUFF.

I am not a very good juggler, at least when it comes to writing projects.

I like to work on one, see it through to the end, set it aside, let it rest, and while it's resting, if I have something else I need to work on, then get to it while the other one is out of my hair for the moment.

So, it's a little strange to be in a place where I have two things pulling for my attention.

One of them is a book I worked on most of last year. It ended up being more of a tween or young YA book, and although my agent loved it, it's been rejected more than a few times now, and many of the editors have said the same thing - the main premise of the novel will be more interesting to middle grade readers.

Well, that's fine except suddenly my character is 12 instead of 17 and can't drive or work or be getting into a steamy romance and and and... So yeah. It's pretty much a total rewrite. But I love the concept and I think it *is* a premise that middle grade kids might like. So I'm starting completely over. Oh joy.

The other project is also a middle grade, and for that one, I may not have to write the entire thing, which will be nice. I hope to get 3-4 chapters done, write a synopsis, and see if that might be all we need at this point. So hopefully that one will be done and out of the way in a couple of weeks. But we'll see. The best laid intentions and all of that...

The good thing about two projects is that when I'm trying to figure out something in one of them and need that time to just let my brain perculate, I can be actively working on the other one. The challenge, of course, is to keep the voice true in each story.

What about you - do you like working on multiple projects at a time?

~Lisa, Miss Crafting a Career

6 comments:

storyqueen said...

I like to work on several things at at time, usually at different stages in the process. (It's a trick I play on myself so that I can't use the excuse that I just can't think of what to write about...several choices=no excuse)

Shelley

Andrea said...

I sometimes try to work on more than one project at time, but usually find I just don't have the time. So I end up focussing on one.

Kristina Springer said...

I'm with you-- I have such a hard time being pulled out of one project to work on another. I'm juggling two right now and a third just started to creep it's way into my brain. I need more hours in the day. :-)

Emily Marshall said...

I like to work on one thing at a time, but my mind is always thinking of other ones. It's hard to stay focused and not pull away to work on other things. I have done two things at once, and it did feel much like juggling. But it's fun at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I usually have more than one thing on the go, but they are at different stages. Brainstorming for one wip, rewrites for another. Because I have most of the day, most days, it's easy (ish) to block off chunks of time to do that.

Good luck with your rewrite!

DeenaML said...

Bc I like to accomplish/complete something to "check it off my list," I like to do one novel at a time as well...at least until I'm sending the whole thing to CPs for feedback. It is hard to switch your brain around.... Good luck!