Friday, March 30, 2012

What I'd Like to See More of in Indie Pub


Tip of the Day: Nervous to give self-pub books a try? Don't be. 99% of the time Amazon allows you to download a sample. Try it before you buy it.

It's really hard to give a list of things I'd like to see in indie and/or self-pub books. As far as genre goes, I think we've got them all covered. Want an angel/werewolf/time travel adventure? It's out there. Want a straight-up YA vamp story? There's six billion to choose from.

What I love to see is originality. I want to read something that hasn't been done before. One recent release that did that is Spider Wars by Angela Carlie (full disclosure: Ang is one of my writing buddies, but she has no idea I'm about to promote her book).

Spider Wars is a YA novel that straddles the line between paranormal romance and horror. It's edgy. It takes risks. It gave me nightmares.

That's what I want. A book that sticks with me for a long time after I read it. And Angela's next novel is so original...I can't talk about it, but OMG...her books are what imagination is all about.

 I'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see more middle grade novels from self-pubbers. Now that the Harry Potter ebooks are available, I'd say it's not long before MG explodes in ebook format. Are you ready? (I am...wrapping one up as I write this.)

And even though my novels are pretty dark at times, where's the ebooks for the bubble gum crowd? Not everyone likes darkness. Sit down at your keyboard and write something cute! NOW! (*disclaimer* - I wrote this post earlier in the week before the other A2A girls mentioned the same thing. I'm seeing a trend here...)

What else would you like to see from the self-pub/indie community???

Megg, Miss Enchanted ePubber

3 comments:

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Bring on the bubble gum! I'd like a break now and then from my paranormal/dytopian haze.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I'd like to see more of what is called "cozy mysteries" in adult lit, but would be nice for kids, too. Something with adventure and something to be solved, but not always so dark. I think it's good that dark lit is out there, because kids do know reality isn't always cotton candy. But I think young readers can use a break from the dystopian now and then.

Megg Jensen said...

Jennifer - agreed! I don't know if I could read one more vampire book. Zombies? Yes. Vamps? Rather not.

Elizabeth - now there's a great idea! My 9-year-old is currently reading The Westing Game. I'm hoping to get her hooked on Agatha Christie soon too.