Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What I Haven't Read (or What's Old is New Again)

Tip of the Day: My libary's summer reading is online this year -- check to see if yours is too!

Tina's post last week got me thinking about "classic" books that everyone has read -- but me. While I did read and enjoy THE CATCHER IN THE RYE, here's what I haven't read:

--anything by Jane Austen (I tried P&P once but only made it in like 5 pages)
--A WRINKLE IN TIME (though I loved WHEN YOU REACH ME and swore I'd read AWIT right after....)
--anything by Agatha Christie (her books are still on the middle school's summer reading list in my town)
--ENDER'S GAME (though my manpanion read it as an adult)

I know there are more, but these are ones that come up regularly.

To put things in perspective, I've read 81 books so far this year (I read 200 last year, and about 160 the year before), so I read constantly. But it takes a lot for me to pick up a non-new book since the new stuff is what I hear buzz about and what I need to be able to recommend for book lists and teen readers who stop into the library.


I also feel like I want to be on top of the "what's new and popular?" bandwagon, not going back to catch up on popular stuff I missed. Like, I never owned a real Cabbage Patch Kid as a child but I wouldn't get one now; instead I'd stock up on those plastic bracelets that look like animals when they aren't stretched out (what are they called?).

Still, I really should read at least AWIT and EG before the year is out, right?

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

1 comment:

Kate Fall said...

Silly Bandz! Yes, a librarian needs to know that. :) I just finished A WRINKLE IN TIME after reading WHEN YOU REACH ME. I like WYRM better, but my daughter liked WRINKLE better because it's part of a series.