Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Now That's a Stretch (or Two Heads are Better Than One)

Tip of the Day: Want to see how my library staff celebrated the royal wedding last Friday? It's all about the hats!

My latest WIP is a stretch for me: it's written in two alternating first person povs. All my previous novels have been in one clear pov. It's taken some courage to plot it out.

On top of that, this is my first time writing from a boy's pov (the main characters are a 16yo girl and a 17yo boy). Can I realistically tap into the teenaged guy's mind???

I resisted writing this book for a long time because I knew there would be a learning curve. But you know what? Now that I'm on chapter 9, I'm really enjoying switching stories and perspectives every 5 pages or so. I find it's keeping my writing fresh. And it's fun getting to know two main characters in one book!

What have you done lately to stretch your writing muscles?

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

3 comments:

Stephanie Cheryl said...

My most recent WIP was written from three different perspectives: two boys and a girl.It was SO fun to write, and I especially loved getting into the male POV. Good luck, and enjoy!

Lisa Schroeder said...

Deena, that is exactly how I felt when I wrote CHASING BROOKLYN. It was challenging, but it was also SO MUCH FUN writing from two POVs and changing perspective throughout.

I want to do another one. Revising them is a chore, because it's like revising two books at the same time. But I love reading well done books like that and I think when they work, they work well!

Good Luck!

DeenaML said...

Stephanie -- 3 POVs -- go you! Good luck as well!

Lisa -- you did it so flawlessly I didn't even notice that it was hard work for you too. :) But you're right; it's two different character arcs and plots, in a way, that have to merge together....