Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Things I'm liking (or a completely random post about nothing)

Tip of the Day: sometimes a list of things you like is a nice reminder of all the awesomeness in the world. It should also come as no surprise then that oddly the only song I probably know the complete "real" words for is "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music.

This week has already been really LOOOONNNNGGGG, so the only thing my brain will let me focus on writing about at this moment in time are things I'm liking right now. 

1.) Iced Fruit Punch--I'm obsessed with this drink right now that I found from Country Living. Basically, you just freeze fruit punch in an ice cube tray and mix with half ginger ale and half seltzer water. Yum.

2.) Stuffed Animal Sleepovers--we had a fun one staging stuffed animals for a sleepover at the library this evening. They got to play tug-of-war, competed in an obstacle course, robe climbed up our tree-shaped coat hangers, had pizza, and of course read books (among many other things). It's always fun to act like a kid on occasion. Isn't that why a lot of us love to write middle grade and teen books, to think like our old selves?

3.) That there will be a new Heather Wells mystery book. Even though it's an adult book, this is one of my favorite Meg Cabot series and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Now if only July 10th would get here sooner!

4.) The coolest pop (or soda for all your Southerns) machine EVVVEEERRR. Pop machines must be completely off my radar, because I had never seen one of these until I stepped into a Burger King in a neighboring city. And now I'm in love with the fact I could get Orange Coke if I wanted to! This takes the idea of mixing drinks that we used to love to do as kids to a whole new level.

5.) Taking a writing break!!! Sometimes it's hard to admit it, but taking a break from writing every now and then can be lots of fun. And just want I needed. After relaxing my Writing Brain, I'm even more motivated and excited to get back to several book projects next week (or possibly the week after that).

Is it odd that two of my five favorite things at this moment are drink related? Or that several of them have me wanting to be a kid again? Hmmmm....something to ponder as I take a brief break from writing.

Which also brings me to the fun idea, of how wonderful would it be to keep just a random journal of five things you are liking at that moment in time? It would be pretty interesting to be able to step back into time and relive my amazing love for slap bracelets, roller skating parties, the game MASH, and so much more. If only I'd thought of this 20 years ago. Maybe that should be my Tip of the Day for all our younger blog readers: think about making a journal of your favorite things. When you are older, you'll totally want to read it!

--Emily, Miss Querylicious

1 comment:

Kristina Springer said...

Oooh a new Meg Cabot book!! I love the Heather Wells series! YAY!