Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Books You Must Read (or Summer Readin', Happened So Fast)

Tip of the Day: Sit on the porch to write with your laptop. There's less chance of napping when you're not on a comfy couch.

School is out and summer reading is in! Students are flocking to the library with their reading list, taking out the required reading books by the mini-van full.

Back when I was in high school, the summer reading lists consisted of the classics: CATCHER IN THE RYE, THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, etc. (Basically anything written in a previous decade.) While I do enjoy some of these "classic" titles, there are many that neither I nor my peers enjoyed. And what did that do? It made reading seem boring, like a chore.

BUT! I am thrilled to say that the summer reading books on my local school lists have TONS of fab books on them -- RECENT books! DAIRY QUEEN, SON OF THE MOB, SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS -- these are some of the titles that the school is recommending. Yay! I'm so glad that the choices have been expanded and teens can see that there IS a book for everyone to enjoy.

What's also interesting is that the local ELEMENTARY schools have required reading lists for summer! Some excellent picture books are on the list for the first and second graders like A SPLENDID FRIEND INDEED and HOW TO BE A BABY, BY ME, THE BIG SISTER.

I'm so glad times are changing, minds are broadening, and modern YA novels are given a place on the summer reading lists. NowI can only hope that one day MY books are on the summer reading lists! (It's a great way to keep libraries buying them every year!)

What books do you wish would make the lists for all teens to read?

Deena, Miss Recently Repped

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

I completely agree about Dairy Queen and Sisterhood. I haven't read Son oof the Mob but will have to check it out.

I'd also like to see A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth Bunce and Savvy by Ingrid Law on that list. Great books!

DeenaML said...

Tabitha -- Ooh! Hopefully next year titles like these will be included as well! I loved CURSE and am awaiting SAVVY in my library....