Monday, March 30, 2009

Would You Rather? The Play at Home Edition!

Tip of the Day: Weekly goals are keeping me motivated right now. I think it's because weekly goals allow me to work on only one goal at a time. It's all about breaking big jobs into small steps.

This week on Author2Author we're playing a fun party game! When you were in high school or college, did you and your friends ever play "Would You Rather?"

Kate's college friend: "So ... would you rather jump off the top of the parking garage or kiss a Phi Kappa guy?"
Kate: "Umm, does it have to be Phi Kappa?"

Well, we're playing our own, young adult writers' version of "Would You Rather?" Play along with us. Nobody will end up kissing a frat brah. I think. Probably not.

Here's your first question: Would you rather have a flashy book store display and matching cover for your novel, or a blurb from your favorite author proclaiming your awesomeness?

When I first cribbed this question from Deena, my instinctual answer was "Oh, man, I want that blurb!" Just imagine it. Forget all that materialistic fluff. I want to be known as an awesome writer!

"Kate Fall's novels sing with humor and heart. I'll read every novel she ever writes." -- Terry Pratchett
"I couldn't put this down! What an incredible writer." -- Libba Bray
"Smart and relevant ... don't miss this talent." -- M.T. Anderson

Oh, yeah, like you never fantasized about a blurb.

Then I thought about it a little more. Because, sure, that blurb would be great and all my writer friends would be jealous and everything. But would it be any more than an ego boost? Wouldn't the marketing presentation of my novel get me more teen readers?

I read blurbs, of course, and they do influence my reading selection. But it's the cover that most people respond to. It's the cover that makes you pick up a book and read the blurb in the first place. Who can walk by a fancy display in a bookstore and not take a second look? I think for teens especially--they don't care how smart I am. They want an appealing book.

So do I want to be acknowledged as a great writer? Or do I want a lot of readers? After consideration, I'm going to pick the fancy book display. It would have to go along with a cool cover, though.

Tough choice, huh? What would you rather?

-- Kate, Miss Perfecting the Pages

9 comments:

DeenaML said...

I also vote for the cover and display at the bookstore. I mean, yeah, to know other fantabulous authors love my work would WOW me to no end. But do the teens read those blurbs? Maybe the booksellers and librarians do, but for the average teen, they need something big to catch their attention, and I want teen readers!

Lisa Schroeder said...

Well, since my books have had neither one of those, I'd happily take either. BUT, if I had to choose, I'd definitely go with the in-store display. :)

Kristina Springer said...

Totally voting for the awesome display and cover!! The displays/cover catch your eye as you walk by-- the blurbs are so tiny on the book it won't catch your eye unless you're already holding the book.

DeenaML said...

OK, we all need to blurb each others' books when we're all pubbed so we don't have to even worry about choice one. We can focus on attaining choice 2. :)

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

Another vote for the cover and display. The blurb thrill would be too fleeting, I think.

Unless it was Margaret Atwood and then I'd know that it was all just a dream anyway!

Sarah Garrigues said...

Fancy cover and display! Then again, I write children's picture books and the illustrations are so crucial to my genre.

~Sarah
http://sarahgarrigues.blogspot.com

Emily Marshall said...

Man, these are hard. I'd definitely like a bookstore display and an awesome cover. But man, a cool blurb, especially from an author I admire would feel like I'd "made it." Sure I don't even read most blurbs and it doesn't affect whether I buy a book or not. But still it would be so cool as an author.

Kate Fall said...

Wow, lots of agreement in the end on this one! Hey, we authors want readers!

Christina Farley said...

Okay, so I admit that I have dreamed about thos blurbs from time to time. :)

But yeah, i'd have to take the book cover and snazzy display. It sells the books and that's the most important.