Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Glossy, Full Color Tween Life (or "You're My Cover Girl*)

*With apologies to New Kids on the Block Tip of the Day: To feel either very smart -- or very not smart -- get yourself into some Jeopardy Wii gaming, level hard!

I LOVED reading teen magazines in my tween years. I subscribed to Teen, YM (Young & Modern), and Seventeen at different times, and the ones I didn't own I checked out from the my library. My friend and I did all the quizzes, picked out which prom dresses we would wear, and wrote fake "embarassing moments" and sent them in hoping to get published (we never did). We wrote our own quizzes, and spent hours pouring over new and old editions. When I started writing for tweens and teens, I wrote some pieces for Girls' Life but never heard back on them. Sigh. I would love to write for a teen magazine to contribute back to the medium that provided me with years of entertainment. Now, I browse through magazines in waiting rooms or in quick passing, but I don't buy them anymore. I just don't have time to read them cover-to-cover, or to store them with the intention of getting back to them later.


Still, if Girls' Life wants me, I'm here!


Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

No comments: