Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Oh Those Angsty Teens! (or Oh Those Funny Kids!)!

Tip of the Day: Want to laugh out loud? Click on this link to watch author Jack Ferraiolo's book trailer for his upcoming middle-grade novel, SIDEKICKS.


Lately I've been reading a lot of great teen novels, but, uh, in case you haven't noticed, there's a lot of serious/dark/murderous/evil/monsterly elements going on in YA fiction today. That is why I am loving me some MG right now. Besides Jack's book mentioned above, some other authors are doing readers of all ages a favor with their upbeat, humorous MG novels. We need something to balance out the demonic faerie vampires!



So that's how I've been dividing my MG and YA reading right now: when I want something more upbeat, I pick up an MG; and when I can handle a dark premise, I go for the YAs. Age of the characters really has less of a factor on my reading habits right now than the mood the novels convey.

What trends have you noticed in MG v. YA fiction lately?

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

2 comments:

Jen Bigheart said...

I picked up Sidekicks at TLA....I can't wait to read it!

DeenaML said...

I READ -- I am jealous! I want SIDEKICKS!