Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Life without TV

Tip of the Day: click here for some good tips on polishing your manuscript and making sure it can be the best it can be before submitting to an agent or publisher.

Two of the biggest obstacles that prevent me from making time for writing are being distracted by the Internet and TV. So a few weeks ago I decided to lesson those obstacles and get rid of cable and Internet at our house.

Gone is my beloved DVR.

Gone is my instant access to information at any time of the night (although, technically I still have Internet on my phone, but my fingers aren’t nearly as good at finding information on a small hand-held device yet).

Have I thought on more than one occasion that I might go insane when I didn’t have access to the Real Housewives or the finale of Project Runway? Sure.

Have I thought about caving and getting it again? Every second.

But my husband and I are trying to live lighter in preparation for a big move, and this makes it easier. And I have to tell you that my writing life has been better than ever as a result of the Big Purge.

Not only do I have fewer distractions to writing, but I have more time for reading. And when I have to research for my current book, I get out of the house and go to the library, which makes actually getting work done much easier.

As a result, I’ve almost completed the latest revisions to my current book. A few more tweeks and incorporations of critique partner comments and I’m about ready to send to agents.

I owe it all to life without the Real Housewives of Orange County, New York, New Jersey, and Atlanta! :)

But if anyone wants to update me as to what's going on this season...feel free!

--Emily, Miss Querylicious

7 comments:

Kate Fall said...

Good for you, Em! I refuse to get a DVR for just this reason. I'm tempted every time the History Channel or Discovery runs an educational program my kids would love at 10 pm. But realistically, I'd fill the thing up with episodes of Chopped and ((squeal!)) NEW Futurama episodes coming in June!

But TV isn't my particular weakness. If we could figure out how to keep me from playing computer games and surfing the Internet ... nah, can't be done. :)

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

I'm watching way too many TV shows but mostly at night, when I'm too tired to write. But I get beguiled by the Internet all the time. Like right now -- I should be writing! Thanks for the inspiration. Going to try to take a page from your book and try to stay offline more

Andrea Mack said...

Impressive! I don't think I watch all that much T.V. (except for Thursdays, Sundays, and all those shows I've PVR'd). It adds up -- to time not used for writing.

Kristina Springer said...

OMG EM!! This is so drastic! Did you try every other option first? You poor thing!

:-) For real, I couldn't give up my DVR. Though it is kind of another stresser. It's constantly reminding me that it's too full and I'm way behind on all the shows I like. I just don't have time to catch up. Sigh. There should be a service that writes a one paragraph summary of each episode of my fave shows and e-mails directly to me.

DeenaML said...

I can't wait to read the rest of your book, Em!

I need to get rid of DVR bc we never use it. I def have more probs overusing the internet....

Kate Fall said...

Tina, I think Soap Opera Digest used to do something like that. It got so that I never actually watched Days of Our Lives, I only read about it. And that got a little too meta for me. "Yeah, I follow this TV show I haven't actually watched in a year." So I gave it up. I guess it's a good technique for weaning yourself off TV.

Emily Marshall said...

Tina, I'd definitely like a service like that! And we got rid of the TV for a million other reasons--we still get basic channels (so I'm not that bad off I guess)--but it's a bonus how it's helped with writing.

And how come I'm the only one addicted to TV over the Internet.

Kate, that's too funny you did that. I really might have to try that. They always do updates on IMDB.