Thursday, May 31, 2012

Writers Are Crazy

Tip of the Day: Have you seen the awesome You Tube video of Isaac Lamb's marriage proposal? It's got 8 million hits now and totally adorable. Check it out.

I saw this comic from DebbieOhi.com being passed around facebook this week and it made me think a) it's so true and b) writers are crazy.

I go through this with each of my books. At first I think whatever I'm working on is awful and I can't get started the right way and no one will ever want to read it. Then as I get grooving along I start to love it. And by the end I'm pulling myself through and convinced I was nuts to think it was any good and it's dreadful. I put it aside and when I go back to it,surprise, it's awesome again and I wonder how I ever wrote it.

Could you imagine if people in other occupations did this? Say a taxi driver.

Me: Take me to Millennium Park.
Taxi Driver: Ugh. I'm such a bad driver. Probably won't even remember which pedal is the gas. Wait, I do remember. And I know which way to go to get Millennium Park. Hey, I'm an AWESOME taxi driver! Whoo hoo! Oh wait. Nope. This is Wrigley Field. Man I suck.

Or what about a Neurosurgeon?

Neurourgeon: Who is the genius that said I should cut into this dude's head? Really? I'll never get the tumor out. I totally suck at this. Oh wait. There it is. Maybe I can get it out. Oh wow, I'm totally getting it! I'm awesome! Look at me go! This tumor is history...oh wait. Darn it. That wasn't it. I hope that wasn't important. Ugh, I suck.

See? We're the only crazy people right? Are you crazy too?

Kristina, Miss Author in Action

3 comments:

Megg Jensen said...

I am 100% normal. I have no clue what's wrong with you. ;)

Bwahahahahahaha!

G.M. said...

What's nice about the YouTube proposal is the choreography changing without moments of being boring. And now that there's a tradtion in America for renewing the vows every few years, even married people can surprise their spouse with singing and dancing. I'd like to see childden and dad doing a special video like this for Mother's Day.

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

I bet other people DO think that--lawyers' self-esteem may rise and fall depending on whether they win their cases; doctors may secretly berate themselves if a patient doesn't turn out as they expect. But writers are the only ones who bare our self-doubts to the world. ;-)