Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hallow-Teen Psych Night (or What I Do For YAs)

Tip of the Day: Save random Halloween costume pieces year after year -- you never know when they'll come in handy again!

On Thursday night, I proved that libraries can be cool.

OK, many of you blog readers already know that libraries are cool. I certainly know they are. But this past Halloween Eve, I invited a psychic, a palm-reader/astrologer, and two graphologists to my library for Hallow-Teen Psych Night to help me prove Brighton Memorial Library's coolness to my teens.

And it was a hit! I had 52 teens show up -- most in fantastic costumes! Here's a shot of the fun festivities.

And check out who that is on the left in the blue frock. Why it's children's author Vivian Vande Velde as a fair maiden and her lovely pirate daughter! Yes, I was very psyched that they came by.

As for me, I reused an old dress and dollar store ears/tail for my costume. The lovely DJ Cat (who spun spooky tunes all night long) bailed me out with the whiskers since I forgot my eyeliner at home. Go glittery brown eyeshadow!


I'm not sure if any of the teens who came checked out materials, or if they'll be back for other events, but it can't hurt, right?

What do the teens in your community think about your public library? How often do they use it -- and for what?

Deena, Miss Recently Repped

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I'm a YA librarian and I know how hard it is to pull teens in sometimes for specific events.
At my library, we have teens that come in only for the computers and video games and ones that come for their niche programming (like anime club or girly book groups). There's a high school nearby and a lot of them walk to the library and hang out until their parents get off work and pick them up.

Emily Marshall said...

Yay. Wonderful pics.

Teens are in our library ALL the time. It's pretty much overrun with teens. But 90-95% of them are there because it's within walking distance of school and there's no place else to hang out. They hang out outside, destroy our new garden, and then go to the park. Then the rest of them use the Internet and hang out and talk in the library.

Kate Fall said...

Deena that is so awesome! What a party.

Lisa Schroeder said...

Oh how cool! Yay you!!

Our library doesn't seem to do many events. There are always a lot of teens in the teen area, though.

DeenaML said...

lena -- it is hard to pull the teens in. My event before this one, an author talk, only had 4 teens. We do get the after school crowd on the PCs to check myspace and play games.

em -- I'm glad my lib is in walking distance from the school, too, but we don't have the hoards you do.

lisa -- at least there are teens in your lib even if they don't have programs for them!

Kristina Springer said...

Looks awesome! I'm not sure if our library does stuff like this. I'll have to find out!