Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's the Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of (or "It's the Stu-uffed Green Tomatoes"*)

* With apologies to Carly Simon

Tip of the Day: Never travel via airplane without a bag on wheels -- even if it's just a carry-on. When you have to sprint through the Atlanta airport from concourse E to concourse C to catch your next flight that leaves in 5 minutes and your bag is full of free YA novels, you will regret it.

This past weekend I was in Nashville for a YALSA (Young Adult Librarian Services Association) conference. The sessions were fantastic. I learned lots of things that I can apply as a librarian and as a writer.

And I realized I want to some day speak at a YALSA conference. This is my newest/latest/additional career goal.

It was so amazing to be among so many people who love literature for teens! I could turn to anyone around me and talk about YA books, and freedom of speech. There were other librarians writing books, too! If a presenter mentioned a book but couldn't remember the author's name, at least one person in the audience would know who it was. Usually more than one. So cool.

For the librarians, the visiting authors were rock stars. I've never seen so many women in one room racing for YA novels like it was their oxygen. (And yes, I was one of them.) It's not that I want to be a rock star, but to know that so many people understand the value and importance of literature for teens is reaffirming and rewarding. I want to speak to people who know this.

So I'm putting it out there. I will sell my books, and I will speak at a YALSA conference to fantabulous librarians who know what teens need, enjoy, and treasure.

Deena, Miss Recently Repped

4 comments:

Lisa Schroeder said...

Wow. How cool! I'd love to speak at one too someday. Or even just GO to one. And now you've done that, so yay you!!!

DeenaML said...

Lisa, you WILL make it to one! I know it!

Emily Marshall said...

Sounds like so much fun. I wish I could have gone. But if you speak at one, I'll try to definitely make it :)

Kristina Springer said...

Sounds awesome! And In know what you mean about being around so many YA lit lovers-- awesome!