Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Writing Goals

Tip of the Day: Don’t Forget to Vote!

There will no doubt be tons of blog posts today about the importance of voting, so I will leave all those awesome bloggers to the voting posts, since they will put it much better than I can. Instead, I’m going to continue on discussing about NaNoWriMo, as Kate did yesterday.

I absolutely love NaNo and had no idea there was such hate towards it as evidenced here. I’ve participated in some capacity over the past two years and I’m amazed at the motivation it gives me. Having writing buddies that you can compare word counts with and push each other is irreplaceable. Sure you could do this any time of the year, but for some reason the simple act of signing up, allowed me to set better writing goals and follow-through with my actions. Being a competitive person, I love the challenge of it all.

Granted if you are going into NaNo expecting to have a perfectly, polished novel by the end that isn’t very realistic. But it will help you to get writing on the page, and that is never a bad thing in my opinion.

So if you aren’t signed up yet. And are wavering whether to do it. You still have 27 days left in the month to write. So you might want to give it a try.

Unfortunately, I will not be officially participating in NaNo this year, due to edits I’m making on a previous book that need to be completed in a timely manner. And also due to the fact November has become Official Travel Month in my household (YAY!).

Even though, I’m not participating, I still love to do a huge writing push during the month of November. It gives me a sense of accomplishment as the year is coming to a close. And since setting goals is a big part of NaNo, I decided to announce my writing goals for the month of November on this blog. And I’ll hope you’ll join me in doing the same.

  1. Finish edits for CG Book, and send off to awaiting parties.
  2. Complete 20K words on SC book, including the chapters already written.

Doesn’t sound too hard, so hopefully I can follow through. And I encourage you to set your own goals this month. For some reason, November seems to be a great month to write and edit.

Good luck on your November Writing Goals everyone!

--Emily, Miss Awaiting

P.S. My non-writing goal this month is to have fun in Reno and Toronto/Niagara area. So if anyone has suggested sites to visit, places to eat, or things to do in either area. Please let me know!

1 comment:

amuse me said...

How interesting there are disparaging remarks about NaNoWriMo -- it is all strictly volunteer whether you participate or not. And, if someone thinks they can just submit a 30-day manuscript without editing, that's just c-r-a-z-y!