Wednesday, August 31, 2011

465 Minutes (or But Who's Counting?)

Tip of the Day: Contact Kristina through our blog or her adorable website to schedule a FREE Skype visit with her if you use one of her novels for your school or library book club!

I did it! By the time you read this, I will have written at least 15-minutes-a-day for every day in August. Woo hoo! I owe the idea to the amazing writer Laurie Halse Anderson who made me see that it was pretty pathetic of me, someone who claims to be a writer, to not be able to hash out a mere 15 minutes per day.

No, those weren't Laurie's words, but her encouragement certainly made me look at how I spent my time a different way.

It also made me think about how when I am published, I'll have deadlines and I'll need to budget my time differently. I may even need to -- *gasp* -- write when I don't feel like writing! Sometimes people aren't "in the mood" to do their jobs, and if you are writing for money, it is your job.

Who knew? :)

I am heading for Europe next month (yay!), so I DO have a good excuse not to write every day -- BUT I am going to bring my journal and pen and scribble notes on the trains and any other time the urge sets in. I don't want to lose my momentum!

Oh -- and I did finish the draft of my WIP this month!

I encourage anyone who is a writer to write 15-minutes-per day, every day, for a month. You can do it! And you'll be so glad you did!

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

No comments: