Thursday, April 9, 2009

A2A The Teen Years: Sophmore Saturday Nights

Tip of the Day: We always tell teens to not divulge too much info online but sometimes the adults need to hear it too. Don’t post things on your blog/facebook like “I’m leaving for a two-week vacation!” (As in my house is empty, feel free to look up my address online, and stop by any time!)

Saturday nights during my sophomore year…I can tell you where I was. I was up to no good! Well, sometimes I was innocent. Like during football season after a Saturday game I’d go to the band party. That’s right, I said band party—you know, the one where all the COOL kids hang out. And they were fun and well chaperoned. But on those other Saturday nights where no band function was in sight? I’d be getting in trouble with my friends.

I don’t know why we were so naughty but it seemed like we always had to find something to do that was dangerous. Generally it would start with a sleepover at someone’s house. We’d wait until that parent(s) fell asleep and then chaos would ensue. One time, I recall being in a jam-packed car cruising through town where not a single one of us had a license.












We had our most experienced newly permitted kid doing the driving so we felt extremely safe of course (and not at all stupid like we so totally were).

Another time I remember sneaking out with a friend to walk to the White Hen at midnight. Ended up we were being followed by two weirdos and had to get the White Hen manager to drive us home. Yeah, that was fun explaining to her mom let me tell you.

I could go on with my sophomore antics but quite truthfully, I’m scared. What if my mom reads my blog? I'm not sure what the statute of limitations is on this kind of thing. We did a lot of really crazy things that year. Quite the pranksters too I must say. If I ever meet you somewhere we can have a coffee and I’ll fill you in but let’s just move past sophomore Saturdays for now.

I do want to cheat (like Deena yesterday!) and tell you briefly about my freshman Fridays because they were quite unique and wholesome (like bread I tell ya). I don’t know if I mentioned this before but I was always the youngest in my class. My birthday is near Halloween so when I started freshman year I was 13 turning 14. I didn’t drive for a loooong time (second qtr junior year!). So every Friday my best friend and I would go with my dad to his bowling league.




















My Dad has been bowling on Friday nights for some 35+ years. He’s the president of the bowling league in these parts actually (yep, that makes me part of the first family). And it was a BLAST. No, really. I’m not kidding. F-U-N. Here’s what you’ve got—one dad busy bowling from 6 to 10 + two thirteen year olds running amuck. (What is amuck anyway?). While my Dad bowled we’d walk up and down the street, go to various stores, go to a nearby fifties diner for green rivers and fries and just generally all around be goofy. It was so much fun and a regular thing until I was old enough to drive.

Once I was a junior with a license all heck broke out. That’s all I’m saying.

Kristina, Miss Delighted to Debut


5 comments:

Kate Fall said...

I'm surprised you never went bowling. I loved bowling. But maybe there was a lot of pressure on you, being in the first family and all.

Kristina Springer said...

Nope-- they were SO serious with their bowling league. They took up every lane-- I don't think people could just walk-in and bowl at those times.

DeenaML said...

Oh man, we went to Rock 'N Bowl. There were some interesting times there....

Christina Farley said...

Bowling was always a big hangout in high school for me.

Emily Marshall said...

Wow, Tina. Quite the trouble maker. I never would have guessed :) We liked pranks and general bad behavior too, but we were very good girls and stuck to silly/stupid pranks and general silly fun.

And I was always the youngest in my class too. It stunk didn't it? You didn't get to drive until really late. It felt like everyone else was having all the fun. But at least you got to be driven around alot.