Friday, April 3, 2009

Would You Rather - the ultimate question!

Tip of the day: Want to see a peek into my revision process? Go HERE for a nice revision medley that pretty much summarizes my process.

Okay, here it is. The big question. The one every author ponders at one time or another. Well, unless you’re one of the select few who are able to do both, which is no small feat.

Would you rather write a book that earns a prestigious award or have a New York Times Bestseller?

I will admit, there’s a part of me that would love to be recognized some day with an award for my writing. It’s like the ultimate validation or something – an award means you really are a GREAT writer, correct? And who doesn’t want to feel that way? Because in some ways, I think if we don’t get any awards, it’s easy to think, well, I must be a NOT-SO-GREAT writer then. Like there isn’t anything in the middle, which of course there is!

I compare it to cooking. I’m not really much of a cook, but I make lasagna, soup, chili, stir-fry, etc. None of them are especially GREAT. Still, we like them, and we eat them. So, just because I don’t have my own restaurant with five-star reviews, does it mean my cooking sucks? No. It’s good. It’s fine.

Pretty much like my writing.

Now, back to the question. Today, at this moment, with my 401K basically in the toilet and tuition bills for my kids on the not-so-distant horizon, I’m going to go with a NYT bestseller. Yes, I’ll admit it, I want the fame and fortune and to heck with the prestige.

But that’s today. Ask me in a few months, and I may have a different answer.

What about you?

~Lisa, Miss Crafting a Career

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you weren't fishing for compliments, but your writing IS great, Lisa! Not just good for fine.

I honestly don't know how to answer your question. It's a good one! Can't wait to see other responses.

DeenaML said...

I want the award! 'Cause then you get the award ceremony, and some sort of weird statue, AND THEN I can hope that the award will soar me up to the NYT Bestseller list. :)

Rhonda Helms said...

NYT bestseller, LOL. :D

Kate Fall said...

Wait, Deena, you get a weird statue?

OK, not to get into a fear of failure thing, but would having a NYT bestseller change my life? I like my life, you know? I don't want a ton of pressure on me to write another book that makes the publishing house a lot of money and do it in 6 months, lady. So I'm going for the award.

Hi Julie and Rhonda!!

Sarah Garrigues said...

That's a toughie, but I would choose the NYT Bestseller...having that amount of sales would truly open some doors. From then on, I would think I could have a little more freedom to choose which projects I want to work on. I might even be in the situation to have editors/publishing houses battle over my next book--and let's be honest, I would be the winner in that situation.

~Sarah
http://sarahgarrigues.blogspot.com

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

I would've had the same answer a couple of years ago but the crazy economic times only makes me feel more certain about my choice: a New York Times Bestseller.

Would just be amazing to feel like not only am I really reaching my target audience (which may or may not be the case with an award) but I'd love to have some semblance of economic stability.

I had a conversation along similar lines with one of my favourite Irish musicians several years ago. This guy is a huge critical success but unfortunately hasn't sold many copies of his albums and when I basically asked him this same question he chose having lots of people buy his music over critical success. I was surprised at the time but now I completely understand it.

Plus, I totally hate parties, formal ceremonies etc. so I would only want to ditch the award proceedings in a hurry ;-)

And without a ton of book sales I guess I wouldn't even have the $ to be able to hire someone else to show up and pretend to be me.

Tabitha said...

I have an insane fear of public speaking...still, I'd rather have the award. I'd find a way to get through the ceremony. :)

Lisa Schroeder said...

Ah, you're so sweet Julie.

Seems like the group is pretty evenly divided on this one!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

bestselling award winner

Emily Marshall said...

Definitely the NYT's bestseller. I don't think I write award-winning type books (at least not the prestigious ones--one's like the ALA reluctant reader one that you got would be cool, because I think reaching reluctant readers is awesome, especially considering I was one as a teen). And I'm fine with that, because that's what I prefer to read as well.

Tana said...

NYT best seller. It would broaden your potential fan base and enable you to publish more novels that would have a higher chance of landing there as well. If you're prolific it would be the dream.