Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Blame Facebook...

Tip of the Day: Jessica Verday (The Hollow Trilogy) announced yesterday the short story anthology she is publishing with 25 YA authors (I'm in there too!). Click here to read the full announcement.

My blog habits have changed SO much over the years. Like Deena, I never thought about blogs until I decided to give YA writing a try in 2005. The first blogs I followed were Lauren Barnholdt and Robyn Schneider. I was 29 at the time and these two ladies were in their early twenties and publishing YA books. I thought they were totally inspirational and I remember thinking if they could do it so could I. So I studied everything they said, what blogs they recommended, agents they had submitted to etc., and I read everything I could YA related. When I joined Lauren's YA Chicklit class online I had to start a live journal blog to participate. And I loved it! I pretty much talked about everything and anything writing related and I loved the support and cheering of the YA community on LJ as everyone was searching for agents and submitting to publishers. At that point I was reading as many blogs as I could. I loved knowing what everyone else was doing on their writing journeys. So much, me and the A2A girls started up this blog. And After I got an agent and sold my first book I joined the 2009 Debutantes and read the posts on there daily too.

Then something happened. There was a big blog reading drop off for me. I'm not sure what it was exactly. Was it that I had published books now and I wasn't reading agent blogs or blogs about the beginning of the publishing journey anymore? Was it that my four kiddos weren't babies anymore and my free time was now divided up between boy scouts/girl scouts/ballet/karate/soccer/swimming/gymnastics/school? Or was it the explosion of twitter and facebook and everyone I've ever met in my entire life being on there and discussing everything from their kids poop to their killer pot roast recipe?

I blame Facebook.

Kristina, Miss Author in Action

2 comments:

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Maybe that's why I still read a lot of blogs--I'm not on Facebook! Hmm ...

DeenaML said...

Yay anthology!

I have such mixed feelings about FB....