Thursday, March 31, 2011

To DVR or Not to DVR...

Tip of the Day: Check out this HUGE list of articles on promotion for writers on Cynthia Leitich Smith's Web site.

It's always DVR. I have control of the DVR in this house (hubby doesn't watch TV. Talk about opposites attracting!) and I'm going to share the top secret list of what is on my DVR right NOW. Ready?

Survivor
American Idol
Real Housewives of Atlanta
Bethenny Ever After
Real Housewives of Orange County
Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes

Yep. I'm a big reality tv junkie. I love it! It's all I ever want to watch! These are just the current ones on my DVR. I also love all the Bridezillas, Tori & Dean, and I'm not going to lie, I've even watched a couple of episodes of Jersey Shore. But it's not a fave and I do worry that it could possibly be the one show that may literally push me over the edge into complete brain mush. So only small doses at a time.

Why do I find reality tv so fascinating? Hmm, good question. I think mostly I like the unscripted fights and relationships between the characters. Ok, I'm sure some parts are scripted but most of the time I think they're being fairly truthful as to who they are. So it's like studying the human condition. (See? Research. That's what I always tell my hubby when I'm watching a show and he walks by and looks at the tv and then at me in bewilderment.) And I also like to pick up details of current trends in clothing, hair, accessories, and of course current phrases/lingo. All important info for books, right?

And my very favorite reality shows of all? Real Housewives of Anywhere. Beverly Hills, Orange County, New Jersey, New York, Miami, Washington, you name it, I'll watch it. I think I like watching it because I am really a "housewife" I guess you'd say and there isn't anything real about the "Real Housewives" on tv. I mean, come on. Who has four nannies for their two kids AND stays at home? So I guess I watch them for the same reason people read books about zombies and werewolves etc. Because they're so out of the ordinary and not part of my experience. :-)

Kristina, Miss Author in Action

























No comments: