Monday, March 7, 2011

Pro E-books, Anti Reading Device

Tip of the Day: The New York Times has added e-books to their best seller lists. Check it out.

I love the convenience of downloading books onto my Android phone. I use the Nook application because it downloads fast, and searching "Young Adult" turns up some intriguing titles. This weekend, I was stuck at a laser tag place waiting for my daughter, so I downloaded SOLD by Patricia McCormick. The time flew by.

I don't know if I'd ever actually buy the Nook, though. The whole point of reading an e-book to me is that I don't have to tote a novel everywhere I go. If I bought a Nook, I'd have to bring that with me all the time. It's just as easy to carry a book. I'm carrying my phone with me anyway. The Nook would be something extra.

I admit, it would be tempting sometimes when I'm in the mood for a particular book to be able to download it as the whim struck me. But at home, I have a big backlog on my To Be Read pile as it is. I can't see me using e-books at home. But downloading e-books to my phone has become my favorite "stuck waiting somewhere" activity. I paid about $7 for SOLD on my phone, which I felt was money well spent.

The only problem is that I didn't get to finish it before laser tag was over. So now I have to wait until I'm stuck somewhere else to finish it. Or I could read it and pretend I'm doing something obnoxiously important on my phone instead. "Yeah, sorry, gotta take this message, it's life or death. We'll catch up on that fascinating story about your cat's sprained leg later."

Do you download books when you're out and about?

-- Kate, Miss Perfecting the Pages

5 comments:

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

Though the limited storage space in my apartment makes it a challenge I've decided I'm sticking with physical books for as long as possible. I'm actually kinda going off digital in general. Even bought a record player and have started picking up vinyl again (http://ckkellymartin.blogspot.com/2011/02/on-music-magic.html). I don't like reading on screens of any kind and without the physical presence a book or musical recording doesn't feel the same to me.

Kate Fall said...

I actually find it more comfortable in some ways to read on a screen. My carpal tunnel makes holding books open painful sometimes. But the layouts I've seen so far on screen don't impress me. I'm a font nerd. And the smell of new books is nirvana.

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

The benefits for people with carpal tunnel hadn't occured to me but that's interesting (some hardcovers are really heavy!). I can also see how the font size adjustment would come in very handy. But, yeah, the layout and the paper smell are good arguments in favour of physical books. Cover art too.

DeenaML said...

Ah, yes, having an ebook reader is an extra piece of gear whereas your phone is nearly always with you for "emergency" book needs.....good point!

DeenaML said...

AND, yes, there are times when I just want to UNPLUG and staring at another screen after being on the PC at work all day is not what I want to do....books are my way to be technology free when I want to.