Monday, May 23, 2011

Do You Limit Your Internet Time?

Tip of the Day: Print and post this internet time suck cartoon by Debbie Ridpath Ohi near your writing desk as a reminder.

So, what do you do you when you're goofing off on the internet?

Facebook for me, definitely. I love knowing how my friends and family are doing, and Facebook is so much more satisfying than a phone call because it has photos. Oh, and the news. I don't watch news on TV anymore. Those 24-hour news channels have nothing in depth to say. And while I'm checking the news, of course I read the comic strips. And what kind of writer friend would I be if I didn't read my friends' blogs? Speaking of which, I should keep up with publishing industry news ... what's going on at the public library ... read some book reviews ... update my Goodreads library ... check Verla Kay's Blueboards ...

I can't tell if I spend less time on the computer that isn't writing or work related or more time than I did, say, a year ago. Because I've never kept track. But as I get ready to take the summer off from full time office work, I think I need a way to regulate web surfing. At the office, it's easy to relegate "internet goof off time" to lunch break, and writing time to home. But when I'm home all the time? Seriously, it's not like I'm giving up web surfing. This isn't a monastery.

So I think my first step will be to keep track of what time I spend on the computer on which activities. Oh, boy, this should be whatever the opposite of enlightening is.

Do you track how much time you surf the internet? Hey, want to try it with me? What's your favorite internet use strategy tip?

-- Kate, Miss Perfecting the Pages

1 comment:

Christina Farley said...

I find that I'm a binge internet gal. I don't check facebook or blogger for a while and then I'm totally sucked into it.