Monday, July 11, 2011

As Long as There Are Queries and Deadlines ...

Tip of the Day: If you have an e-reader, check out the Baen free library at http://www.baen.com/library/.

St. Brigid of Ireland is my patron saint of writing. In the early sixth century, she founded a school of art specializing in illuminated manuscripts. She is the patron saint of poets, and just as when I lose something I ask St. Anthony to help me find it, sometimes when I'm writing or sending a query I ask St. Brigid for a little help.

Writing is hard on the self-confidence, as you've probably discovered. It's so easy to think "I can't do this. I'm not good enough." We put it all on ourselves: me, me, me. But when I am plagued with self-doubt, my faith reminds me that I am not alone. If I have something meaningful to say, God will help me say it. If this is what I am supposed to be doing, I shouldn't give up and I shouldn't let self-doubt ensnare me. There is not much I can do by myself if I believe in nothing but my poor powers of self-discipline. As long as there are queries and deadlines, I'll be praying for help as a writer.

Do you ever pray for help in your writing?

-- Kate, Miss Perfecting the Pages

No comments: