Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Don't mind me...I'm a writer

Tip of the Day: Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July.


There were so many fireworks going off last night in our area that I thought I was under attack. As my husband and I stood out on our porch in the warm air the sounds and booms the fireworks were making were even more important if not more impactful than the colors and shapes of the fireworks themselves.

Which got me to thinking how important sound is in creating a scene. And I rarely remember to incorporate sound in my writing, apart from dialogue.

From now on every time I'm thinking about a scene, I'm going to imagine it with my eyes closed and try to think clearly about what the sounds might make. Maybe even recreating if possible.

So if I'm sitting next to you at Starbucks with my eyes closed biting on a pencil, randomly typing gibberish, or squeaking my shoes across the tile...

Don't mind me...I'm a writer

(I'm thinking of having the slogan put on a t-shirt if one doesn't exist already).

--Emily

No comments: